Honey is a delicious, wonderfully sweet, natural food that is a great addition to a cup of tea, bowl of oatmeal, and other foods. But, did you know there are a lot of other ways to use honey? Here are five unique uses for honey for you to try during Honey Month in September.
- Sore throat remedy. Instead of taking traditional cough syrup, try a concoction of honey, fresh lemon juice, and hot water to soothe an aching throat. Aside from the soothing effects, honey has natural antibacterial qualities to help boost your immune system.
- Baking alternative. Swap out refined sugar for honey. You’ll need less honey to make your dish just as sweet, and you’ll gain its natural antioxidants.
- Boost before a workout. Take down a tablespoon of honey before a workout to help boost your performance.
- Preserve fruit. Mix one part honey with 10 parts water to create a “honey sauce.” Fill a jar with your favorite summer fruits, add the honey sauce, seal the jar, and open in the winter to enjoy a preserved summer treat.
- Make marshmallows. Yes, you can make your own marshmallows. Use this recipe for fluffy goodness sweetened with honey.
What is your favorite way to use honey?